6.25.2010

The Great Minnesota Get Together

I spent the first 18 years of my life in Minnesota, and while there are many things I miss about growing up there, it is the State Fair that I miss the most. Our house was within walking distance to the fair grounds which meant that for the last two weeks of summer my nights consisted of corn on the cob, strawberry milk shakes, rides on the big green and yellow slide and hanging out with friends in the midway.  I saw my first concert of my life there (Peter Paul and Mary), stuck my hand into the side of a cow to feel its stomachs, watched Princess Kay of the Milky Way get her likeness carved into a block of butter, and got the living daylights scared out of me in the haunted house. I haven't been to the fair since I went away to college, but I saw this poster and couldn't help but miss the cheese curds, giant hogs, tractor pulls, pickles on a stick and nightly fireworks displays of my youth. I really am still a midwest girl at heart!

4 comments:

Jenna said...

I love the fair too! I took pigs to the fair to show for like 6 years, and we would buy a pass and I would get to roam the fairgrounds all day every day for a whole week. I loved the booths, entering artwork or cooking adventures in the barns, the commercial goods barn, the hypnotist, singing on stage, getting in the pen with my pig... so many fun memories! I hope my son gets to experience the same thing.

RedRedOrange said...

It is so funny Jenna, because when you talk about growing up on a pig farm, all I think about is the fair! glad you stopped by :)

RedRedOrange said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
RedRedOrange said...

It is so funny Jenna, because when you talk about growing up on a pig farm, all I think about is the fair! glad you stopped by :)