6.23.2010

Panzanella Salad

I hate tomatoes but I secretly want to like them. They look so good, and then every time I eat one I gag. My mom says that she used to hate them when she was little too, so I keep trying just in case my tastes have changed. Well, yesterday I started craving them and remembered this bread salad I had seen Ina Garten making on the food network. I thought for sure I was going to make this whole salad and then hate it, but alas, it was so good that I had it for lunch today too! Maybe I am about to turn a new leaf when it comes to tomatoes? I hope so. Here is the recipe I used, which I adapted from Ina's based on what we had in the pantry:

Dressing
1 tbs Dijon Mustard
1 clove garlic, chopped finely
Juice and zest of one lemon
1 tbs white wine vinegar
3 tbs olive oil
Salt and pepper
Combine everything in a little jar, put the lid on and shake it up until its emulsified.

Salad
1 cucumber chopped into chunks
2 tomatoes (heirloom are best I guess?) chopped into chunks
2 big handfuls arugula
1 big handful of basil, rolled up into little cigars and chopped
half of a red onion sliced into super thin half moons
fresh mozzarella chopped into chunk (optional only if you are crazy)
some stale bread (we used a baguette, the more the better)

Cut the bread up into chunks (maybe 2" pieces") and toss it in a pan over medium heat with some olive oil to get it crispy and toasted. Put them in the bottom of a big salad bowl and put the rest of the salad ingredients on top. add dressing to taste and toss. Top with mozzarella and enjoy!

4 comments:

alli/hooray said...

This looks really good! I love Ina's cookbooks + recipes...just made her potato salad tonight for a sendoff dinner for Bill.
Oh, and I was the same way about tomatoes until I got married!

my2fish said...

I will vouch for Alli's potato salad - it was de-lish.

the panzanella salad looks pretty great, too!

Unknown said...

Yummy! Always on the lookout for fresh summer salads. Thanks for posting.

Kir said...

I've been thinking about making a panzanella salad too after seeing a recipe in...some magazine. Looks delicious!