6.23.2010

Panzanella Salad

I hate tomatoes but I secretly want to like them. They look so good, and then every time I eat one I gag. My mom says that she used to hate them when she was little too, so I keep trying just in case my tastes have changed. Well, yesterday I started craving them and remembered this bread salad I had seen Ina Garten making on the food network. I thought for sure I was going to make this whole salad and then hate it, but alas, it was so good that I had it for lunch today too! Maybe I am about to turn a new leaf when it comes to tomatoes? I hope so. Here is the recipe I used, which I adapted from Ina's based on what we had in the pantry:

Dressing
1 tbs Dijon Mustard
1 clove garlic, chopped finely
Juice and zest of one lemon
1 tbs white wine vinegar
3 tbs olive oil
Salt and pepper
Combine everything in a little jar, put the lid on and shake it up until its emulsified.

Salad
1 cucumber chopped into chunks
2 tomatoes (heirloom are best I guess?) chopped into chunks
2 big handfuls arugula
1 big handful of basil, rolled up into little cigars and chopped
half of a red onion sliced into super thin half moons
fresh mozzarella chopped into chunk (optional only if you are crazy)
some stale bread (we used a baguette, the more the better)

Cut the bread up into chunks (maybe 2" pieces") and toss it in a pan over medium heat with some olive oil to get it crispy and toasted. Put them in the bottom of a big salad bowl and put the rest of the salad ingredients on top. add dressing to taste and toss. Top with mozzarella and enjoy!

4 comments:

alli/hooray said...

This looks really good! I love Ina's cookbooks + recipes...just made her potato salad tonight for a sendoff dinner for Bill.
Oh, and I was the same way about tomatoes until I got married!

my2fish said...

I will vouch for Alli's potato salad - it was de-lish.

the panzanella salad looks pretty great, too!

Her name was Lola said...

Yummy! Always on the lookout for fresh summer salads. Thanks for posting.

Kir said...

I've been thinking about making a panzanella salad too after seeing a recipe in...some magazine. Looks delicious!